In this post in the Burlingame Business Tips series we’ll be talking about how we can all boost our productivity in the office. Here are our top five ways to help you spend less time procrastinating, clear that to-do list and make the most of your working day.
- Plan And Prioritize. Know what you want to achieve in a day and you’re more likely to actually do it. Spend 15 minutes writing out a list of tasks to keep yourself focused and your working output will thank you for it later. Prioritize the three most important tasks and do those first – simpler jobs can be done later on in the day. Don’t overload the list with large, seemingly unending tasks, instead break it down into manageable items such as ‘write 2 page report summary’ or ‘contact 3 new potential clients’. A well-made to-do list is an achievable to-do list.
- Manage Emails Wisely. That little pop-up window which alerts you to a new email is a distraction from your current task. Consider reducing the frequency your inbox updates or even just checking your emails a few times a day. In general the more emails you send, the more emails you receive so sometimes picking up the phone is the fastest, easiest and most efficient approach.
- Get Moving. Spending the entire working day at your desk is a sure fire way to feel tired and stressed. Motivate yourself by doing something active; spend 10 minutes outside on your lunch break or take a walk to the water cooler for a change of scenery. You can even practice yoga to increase your energy levels, relieve aches and improve your morale. Try this simple workout by Yoga With Adriene for some moves you can do with just a chair, and with minimal disruption to your colleagues – no shouty instructions here.
- Optimize Your Space. Setting the temperature or lighting plan of the whole office can be a difficult task but a few small changes can optimize your own environment. A small fan, or desk lamp with a natural bulb can provide the environment you need to work effectively and finish that proposal before the day is done. Even a simple pot plant can help purify the air and boost productivity.
- Believe In Breaks. We all get distracted sometimes, and that’s ok. Acknowledge that distractions are perfectly normal and take a small break to get yourself back on track. Allocate specific times during the day to step away from the computer screen and the rest of the day will be more productive and efficient. And definitely take a lunch break away from your desk – you’ll return to your desk with renewed energy levels and your brain will thank you for the chance to reboot.